Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fake Rocks (Iron Mines, NS)



I lived for some time across the street from the Bra D'Or Lakes outside Whycocomagh in Iron Mines, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Finding access to the waterfront was a constant project for me. Those I knew who had waterfront property had a veritable marsh between their yard and the shore. The simplest solution involved walking along the Trans Canada to an access point a short distance from the Orangedale Road where I lived. This, however, proved highly dissatisfying. The solution involved making friends with some other neighbours, which, I suppose, is usually a good idea anyhow.

When I finally reached the shoreline, I happened upon a series of fake rocks. I say fake rocks, because the weathered styrofoam blobs briefly fooled me. I don't think I've ever seen fake rocks before, but I imagine that there must be others out there.




Location: Shore of the Bra d'Or Lakes, Iron Mines, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Details: Firstly, make friends with the Fergusons, or someone living on Ferguson Point Road (it's a private drive). It is just past Ashfield Road--known fondly to some as the "yuck" road--off of the Orangedale Road (exit 4, Trans Canada Hwy 105), and is about 1 km from the Trans Canada. Secondly, follow the road to its endpoint, and thirdly, follow the somewhat overgrown trail to the shore. Walk along the shore a few meters east to find the fake rocks.
Submitted by: aislinn thomas


No comments:

Post a Comment